Home of Campbell's Measured Mile, Daytona Beach Shores was incorporated in 1967. Understanding
the importance of motor racing to their history, the City of Daytona Beach Shores commissioned a monument to commemorate Otto Schultze, a
leader in the establishment of the Shores as a racing historical site. Schultze was a tireless champion in the effort to return the
Bluebird V to its home in the Daytona Beach area, and its image is depicted on the monument located in Max Samuely Park, 3048 South Atlantic Avenue. The actual Bluebird V is on display at
DAYTONA USA on the Daytona International Speedway site. Near the monument are the Living of Legends
of Auto Racing Memorial Bricks. These bricks commemorate the daring drivers of the beach racing era.
Just south of the Shores City Hall you will see a Drive-In Church. This was the original registration area for the beach race course.
Campbell’s famous record run of 276.82 mph was accomplished in a Measured Mile which begins at the Lifeguard Station on the beach north of Dunlawton Avenue and ends
at the Oceans One Condominium site.
The Oceanside Rotary Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame is located inside the Daytona Beach Hilton, 2637 South Atlantic Avenue. Large photographs of the famous inductees line the hallway leading to the Bill France Ballroom. Established in 1990, the Hall
of Fame honors drivers such as Lee and Richard Petty, Bobby Allison, Fireball Roberts, Marshall Teague, Buck Baker, Junior Johnson, and Bill
IX. Ponce Inlet (Ponce Park)
The historic beach/road race course stretches south on A1A from Wilbur-by-the-Sea to Ponce Inlet
Park at the time). The races started on A1A at the “north turn” 4511 South Atlantic Avenue, where a restaurant now stands. The cars travelled
south until they reached the end of the road where they accessed the beach at the Beach Street approach. From there they roared northward
for two miles before turning back up the beach approach onto A1A. First sanctioned by NASCAR in 1948, the beach/road course was in
continuous use until the completion of Daytona International Speedway in 1959.
X. Other Areas
The Volusia Speedway Park on State Road 40 in Barberville offers NASCAR racing throughout the year.
During the winter racing series over the years since 1968, the New Smyrna Beach Speedway on State Road 44 and State Road 415
has seen many Winston Cup drivers competing.
Mark Martin’s Klassix Auto Museum at 2909 West International Boulevard houses historic race cars, classical automobiles and
motorcycles. It also features a motorsports memorabilia gift shop and 1950’s style soda fountain ice cream shop.
XI. West Volusia
The DeLand area in West Volusia County has several historic sites that were part of the early days of racing. The Old Volusia County Fairgrounds was the site of a race track. Located on West New York Avenue at the railroad tracks, a section of the
historic grandstand is still standing. Drivers such as Lee Bible and Barney Oldfield raced in open wheel cars. The track first opened in 1926 and was a feature of Fair Week.
The DeLand Raceway operated at Spring Garden Avenue and McGregor Road until 1972. Originally, this site was only a natural hole where the
cars raced while the spectators watched from the hillsides.
Perhaps the most famous West Volusia site is Ralph Hankinson’s Hotel located at 300 South Volusia Avenue in Orange City. This two story wooden hotel was frequented by many race drivers from Hankinson’s racing circuit who wintered in the area. Bill France once called Mr. Hankinson long distance and collect to ask him to organize the races in Daytona Beach. Mr. Hankinson refused the collect call, and Bill France decided to promote them on his own.
VolusiaHistory.com is a partnership between the
Volusia County Historic Preservation Board
and the Volusia County Government